July 16, 2013

Why I Support Boycott


What is BDS?

Palestinian civilc society initiated the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement in 2005. The BDS movement is a call for response from global citizens to hold Israel accountable for human rights violations in the occupied Palestinian territories. Inspired by global boycott which led to the end of Apartheid in South Africa, BDS urges various forms of boycott until the end of the Israeli occupation, recognition of rights for Palestinians in Israel, and the return of Palestinian refugees.

Why do I support BDS?
Methodists support divestment. c/o endtheoccupation.org

The Israeli occupation and human rights violations continue.  Although its not in the news, daily Palestinians suffer from humiliating checkpoint, loss of land, lack of freedom of movement, and the continued building of the separation wall.  As the wife of a Palestinian living in the West Bank, everyday I'm reminded that if the occupation continues, my children will have to grow up in this.

They may not be able to hike in Cremisan, where my husband and I now do, because it will be taken by the wall. They may not be able to attend school if the Israeli army places curfews on the city.  They may witness frequent bouts of violence.  These are only a few issues my children may face.

Boycott is a non-violent way to oppose the human rights atrocities committed by Israel.  It is a way to hold Israel accountable for the wrongs that it commits. After 8 years, the BDS Movement is growing across the globe.  With the success of boycott in South Africa, BDS gives me hope that the Occupation too will end and my children will be able to live prosperous lives with peace, freedom, and security.

What can I do to help?

Many of my family, friends, and visitors ask after they have visited Palestine: What can I do to help? I tell them: you can tell your story and what you saw to your friend, you can encourage others to come and visit, and you can join a boycott movement.

On this blog, I will often share ways that you can be involved and highlight aspects of the boycott movement.  One way to get involved is the US Campaign to End the Occupation, join their email list and learn how to get involved.

Read more about BDS HERE.
On its 8th Anniversary: An interactive timeline of BDS gains.
A Recent success: Methodists vote to Divest.
An Israeli in support of boycott.

No comments:

Post a Comment